Cardno is an international professional infrastructure and environmental services company with over 70 years’ experience and 6,000 people shaping the future for communities around the world. Cardno’s International Development Division has offices in Australia, North America, Europe, Africa, Asia and the Pacific. Cardno’s expertise covers all phases of design, management, and assessment of projects for donors including USAID, DFAT, UK DFID, World Bank, Asian Development Bank, Millennium Challenge Corporation, European Union, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development as well as selected foundations and private clients.
Vision: To be Leaders in improving the physical and social environment for people around the world.
Purpose: As a global organization of talented people, we are united by our purpose: Making a different
The Director of Health Finance is a senior leadership role within Cardno, and s/he will report to Jaleen Moroney, President of U.S. Area, International Development. The postholder will be expected to develop a health financing practice, develop a portfolio of clients and projects, and to recruit a new team.
The Director of Health Finance will lead the design, development, and implementation of impactful health interventions, leveraging teams and resources to ensure all programs operate efficiently and consistently with Cardno’s vision and values. The Director of Health Finance will serve as a thought leader to Cardno’s clients, program beneficiaries, and staff, building Cardno’s technical eminence and offering innovative and thoughtful solutions to achieve improved health outcomes. The Director of Health Finance will be accountable for driving organizational growth and learning, and will lead teams of experts responsible for the design and delivery of innovative programs.
As a key representative of Cardno, the Director of Health Finance must communicate effectively and maintain a strong professional profile and broad, influential network. This will include building and managing trusted relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders and countries, including governments, multilateral organizations, partners, foundations, and other clients and funders.
- Demonstrated leadership on health systems development programs focused on issues such as universal healthcare, health financing, governance, health policy, using data for decision-making, capacity development of public sector, sustainability, planning, and equity. Five plus years of experience leading large-scale, complex health systems and health finance programs, including working in developing countries on relevant USAID-funded programming.
- Deep technical expertise and experience providing technical assistance in health economics/development finance/domestic resource mobilization, health finance reform, sustainable health financing strategies, universal healthcare, blended finance, etc.
- Sound knowledge of approaches to strengthening the health system, which may include establishing new financing mechanisms, developing financial and contractual tools, conducting economic and other analyses to inform decisions.
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of low and middle-income country health systems strengthening environments, with a strong focus on health economics and financing.
- Demonstrated leadership capacity, strategic vision, and ability to effectively build and sustain positive working relationships and partnerships with donors, governments, and partners.
- Demonstrated expertise in strengthening health finance through social health insurance reforms, development and execution of economic analyses, domestic revenue generation, costing assessments, cost-effectiveness studies, expenditure surveys, and feasibility/analyses for community-based and social health insurance or financial protection mechanisms.
- Experience working with public sector, private commercial sector, and NGOs in the health sector.
- Demonstrated and successful experience leading and writing proposal development efforts for USAID-funded programs.
- Demonstrated experience navigating varied cultural, political, and societal environments and possesses a high aptitude for working cross-culturally.
- Well-established track record of solid, ethical business judgment, financial stewardship, and a proven ability to build trust, foster collaborative relationships, and cultivate impactful relationships with diverse groups.
- Innovative thinking, practical problem solving and the ability to translate and apply knowledge to implementation sciences.
- Published or spoken at events in the area of Health Finance.
- Proven successful experience working with USAID and other donors.
- Proven experience providing mentorship and leadership to teams.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Fluency in written and spoken English; ability to work in another language is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to make timely and bold decisions that have broad impact across organizational boundaries and stakeholder groups.
- Ability to balance speed and thoroughness even in the face of ambiguity.
- Demonstrated integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for Cardno’s mission.
Required Minimum Education:
Required: Advanced degree in economics, public health, public policy, health administration, business administration, social sciences, or similar degree program
Required Minimum Experience: 10+ years working in international development in relevant, progressively responsible senior leadership roles. Five plus years of in-country experience, and deep experience executing US government-funded programs. Three to five years working in Africa, preferred.
Interested in this role? Download the appointment brief below for more information and then come back to this page to apply.
Principal Consultant - UKcardno@oxfordhr.co.uk