It’s the first day of Fairtrade Fortnight, so we thought we’d share a round up of our favourite fairly traded brands and products with you. What a great excuse to eat some chocolate on a Monday morning!
1. Divine chocolate – “At the heart of Divine’s heavenly tasting chocolate there is a unique story. Not only do the Kuapa Kokoo farmers’ receive a Fairtrade price for their cocoa, but they also own 45% of the company, and therefore have a direct influence over how the company is run and share in the profits from the chocolate. Owning Divine gives the farmers of the Kuapa Kokoo cooperative not just additional income, but also knowledge and power – the opportunity to grow and flourish is in their hands.”
The connoisseurs of Fairtrade chocolate, Divine’s website is a goldmine of different chocolate bar flavours and cocoa powder. They have lots of information and short videos about their farmers, too – well worth a read.
2. Trading For Development – “Ethical business practices and high quality fashion products can coexist.”
Trading For Development provides cosy knitwear produced by certified WFTO craftsmen and women. Snuggle up in a natural fibre sweater, gloves, hat or scarf.
3. CRED jewellery – “Not only are our pieces designed to look wonderful, but every sale helps build a new life for the communities that provide us with the raw materials.”
If you’re looking for a little luxury, CRED jewellery uses Fairtrade and Fairmined gold for their lovely creations. Good to know that you can splash out with the confidence that your money is having a positive effect.
4. Sseko Designs – “Using fashion to inspire and empower women.”
Sseko Designs make beautiful sandals and leather tote bags in East Africa to provide women in Uganda with employment and to help fund scholarship programs to increase their educational opportunities. Their sandals come with detachable ribbons, so you can buy more ribbons and feel like you have lots of different sandals.
5. People Tree – “For every beautiful garment People Tree makes, there is an equally beautiful change happening somewhere in the world.”
People Tree is every Fairtrade conscious fashionista’s stable brand, providing pretty dresses, wardrobe basics, and now a new menswear line.