Senior Programme Manager, Msingi
|Location||London or Nairobi|
|Salary||Salary will be competitive and negotiable based on experience|
|Closing Date||8th April 2018|
Gatsby has funded and implemented programmes in Africa since 1985. Their mission is to accelerate inclusive and resilient economic growth in East Africa by demonstrating how key sectors can be transformed.
They fund and implement programmes that look to catalyse and influence large-scale and lasting change in priority sectors. They build and support local organisations dedicated to sector transformation. They also aim to share what they have learned with others – such as governments and donors – who are trying to transform sectors.
They have developed and continue to support two independent, East African organisations governed, managed and staffed predominantly by East Africans: Kenya Markets Trust (KMT), which runs programmes in five key Kenyan sectors, and a regional industry development organisation Msingi.
Their own programmes include Tanzanian Cotton, Tanzanian Textiles, Tanzanian Forestry, Kenyan Forestry, with a partnership in place with another UK-based foundation in the Tanzanian Tea and Rwandan Tea.
Msingi is an East African industry development organisation aiming to support the growth of competitive, resilient and inclusive industries in the region. It is funded jointly by Gatsby and the UK Department for International Development (DFID).
The Senior Programme Manager, Msingi will ensure that Gatsby Africa provides the right oversight and support to Msingi, either directly or through coordinating a range of support from Gatsby colleagues.
The role will require strong inter-personal and coaching skills, high levels of empathy and maturity, and the ability to manage complex stakeholder dynamics. It will need a mix of charm, assertiveness and diplomacy. It also requires strong project management experience and the ability to work in a matrix environment to ensure challenging deadlines are met.
This position reports to the Gatsby Programme Director, Msingi (one of Gatsby’s two Msingi Board Directors). It will also involve working closely with the Gatsby Executive Director (the other Gatsby Msingi Board Director) and a range of other Gatsby colleagues.
The role can either be based in London with an estimated 25% travel expected (mainly to Nairobi, Kenya) or in Nairobi, Kenya with an estimated 25% of travel mainly to London.
- Experience of complex project management – i.e. managing multi-year workplans and budgets, ensuring milestones and deadlines are met, overseeing and holding to account delivery teams.
- Experience of managing and overseeing development organisations or multi-year programmes – including leading annual reviews and evaluations.
- The ability to build trusted relationships in a multi-cultural, complex stakeholder environment.
- Ability to influence and get results in a matrix system (or similar) to motivate and coordinate input from others.
- Ability to manage upwards and to work laterally.
- Experience of overseeing financial management of multi-year programmes and overseeing funds disbursements.
- Knowledge of donor/funder environment and ways of working.
- Prior experience working with DFID on Private Sector Development.
- A strong commitment to, and demonstrated understanding of, Private Sector Development / Economic Development (ideally industry development or market systems).
- Excellent communication skills – written and oral, including report writing.
Experience and expectations
- 10 years’ relevant experience – of which at least 4 years working in a similar programme/ organisation oversight role.
- Experience of working in international development, ideally in East Africa.
- Experience of working with senior stakeholders.
- Commitment to a high standard of professional performance and integrity.
- Maturity and judgement to manage complex stakeholder dynamics – with a mix of charm assertiveness and diplomacy.
- Strong empathy and people skills.
- Initiative and the ability to work independently, taking a high degree of personal responsibility for results.
- A private sector outlook on development, and a commitment to improving the lives of East Africans through transforming high potential industries.
- Strong intellectual curiosity.
Higher education qualification at Bachelor’s Degree level or above.
Interested in this role? Download the appointment brief below for more information. Then return to this page and click on the "apply" button below.
Appointment Brief: 201803 GA SPM for Msingi Appointment Brief