Senior Policy Specialist
About Development Pathways
Founded in 2010, Development Pathways has grown rapidly into an internationally respected consultancy business, providing expert advice to clients in areas including: social protection, social development, gender, livelihoods, financial inclusion and management information systems. They are committed to innovative, progressive and evidence-based social policy and aim to influence international debates on social policy through their website and participation in international fora. In the past seven years, they have worked in a range of countries – including Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Ghana, Ethiopia, Malawi, South Africa, Mauritius, Liberia, Zimbabwe, Somalia, Pakistan, Laos, Bangladesh, Nepal, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Viet Nam, Philippines, Timor-Leste, Fiji, Kiribati and Haiti – and for a range of clients including Australian Aid, DFID, UNICEF, UNDP, ILO, GIZ, KFW, the Nike Foundation, the Girl Hub, HelpAge International, Action Against Hunger and Save the Children. They jointly implement four large scale social protection programmes in Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda and Indonesia.
Development Pathways currently has two offices in London and Nairobi. This includes a technical team of 13 social policy and MIS specialists.
The Senior Social Policy Specialist will help Development Pathways continue to grow the company and influence social and economic policy internationally. While Development Pathways are well-known for their work in social protection, they aim to continue broadening their engagement in other areas, such as training, social and economic analysis, food security, social development, child protection, gender, livelihoods and financial inclusion as well as building their profile in the humanitarian and refugee spheres. The Senior Social Policy Specialist will contribute to a range of policy areas and Development Pathways are committed to building her/his knowledge and experience on social protection.
The Senior Social Policy Specialist position will require someone with an excellent ability to work in a team but also, as required, to manage themselves and work independently.
The position will pay a basic competitive salary along with pension contributions, and upon passing the probationary period of six months, will be entitled to private health insurance and bonuses.
The Senior Social Policy Specialist will be expected to work in the Development Pathways London (Orpington) office. The position will involve international travel, up to a maximum of three months per year.
- At least ten years’ experience of working in international development, with a focus on social policy
- A commitment to transformative social policy, innovation and evidence-based policy and programming.
- A deep understanding of one or more social policy issues.
- A commitment to bringing about progressive change
- Excellent demonstrable writing and communication skills in English; an additional language would be advantageous
- The ability to work independently and be confident to take initiatives, but also to be an effective and collaborative team member.
- Excellent team-working and leadership skills.
- An extensive network of contacts in the international development or humanitarian field would be advantageous.
- At least a master’s degree in a subject related to social policy, international development, or economics.
Interested in this role? Download the appointment brief below for more information then come back to this page to apply.