Programme Head, Climate-Smart Land Use
|Salary||Scale 13-14 of Wetlands International (Euro 3.943 – Euro 5.476)|
|Contract Type||Long-term and Full-time (36 hours per week) position starting with 1 year contract, with possible extension to indefinite contract|
|Closing Date||19th February 2018|
About Wetlands International
Wetlands International is global not-for-profit organisation dedicated to the conservation and restoration of wetlands. Wetlands International has 20 offices that share the name and brand ‘Wetlands International’ and implement a joint ‘Strategic Intent’. The organisation has its head office in Ede-Wageningen (Netherlands).
The vision of Wetlands International is: “a world where wetlands are treasured and nurtured for their beauty, the life they support and the resources they provide”.
The Programme Head is responsible to develop and guide Wetlands International’s policy influence and programmes in relation to climate-smart land use, including a strong focus on peatlands, according to Wetlands International’s goals. This work involves influencing science, policy, practice, and investments in both the public and private sectors. To achieve this the Programme Head will act as part of a global leadership team in head office and coordinate with a wide array of actors and policy networks as well as with Wetlands International offices in all regions for resource mobilisation, programme development and implementation. The role includes management of a small team of technical staff in the head office.
The Programme Head is a visionary and facilitative leader with the professional insights, active networks, programme/project management experience and management competencies to lead a network-wide team and related partners to deliver concrete, innovative and tangible results related to wetlands and climate-smart land use . S/he proactively recognizes opportunities and acts upon them. S/he is a team-builder, facilitator, coach, mediator and diplomat.
- At least 5 years of professional experience of policy and practical aspects of wetlands ecosystems and climate-smart land use.
- At least 5 years of experience on programme/project development and implementation with a track record of successful results, working with dispersed teams and diverse partners.
- Proven ability to inspire, empower and motivate colleagues in and outside of Wetlands International, so as to build a high performance team.
- Knowledge of key issues, debates, trends and key global processes related to climate-smart land use and sustainable agriculture.
- Diplomat, good listener with strong interpersonal skills and comfortable working across different cultures and levels of society; confident communicator and advocate for different target audiences at all levels.
- Strong willingness and ability to learn, share and innovate; Proven ability to mobilise ideas through developing and coordinating teams.
- Education: minimum of a master’s degree in a relevant discipline.
- Language: excellent communications skills in English, essential: written, oral and presentation.
- Commitment to Wetlands International’s mission, values and ways of working.
- Willingness and ability to travel regularly.
- Has an elaborate international network with relevant (international) NGOs, academics, knowledge institutes, governments, and other regional & global institutions.
- Knowledge of other languages (especially French, Spanish, Dutch), a plus.
Interested in this role? Download the appointment brief below for more information then come back to this page to apply. For this, please upload your CV and Statement in ONE single document.
Appointment Brief: Wetlands International – Programme Head