|Location||Isle of Coll|
|Closing Date||27th July|
About Project Trust
Project Trust is an educational charity based on the Hebridean Isle of Coll. Since 1967 Project Trust has sent over 7,000 Volunteers to Africa, Asia and the Americas to a wide range of long-term volunteering projects including teaching, social care work, outward bound instructing and community development.
All Project Trust’s Volunteers are 17-19-year-old school leavers, with around 260 Volunteers from across the UK and Europe going overseas annually. The projects are carefully selected, and rigorously vetted, to ensure the Volunteers’ existing skills can be put to good use in their host communities.
Extensive training and support before, during and after their time overseas is provided to all Volunteers, to maximise both the educational value of their experience and the positive impact they have in their projects. Staff on Coll, project Hosts and Overseas Representatives support the Volunteers during their placements, and Volunteers return to Coll for a debriefing course at the end of their year.
They are also now widely regarded as the leader in the field of international volunteering and they are highly respected.
Following the recent announcement that the current post holder will be retiring after 35 years’ loyal service with Project Trust, they see another outstanding and inspirational Overseas Director to take responsibility for the development and growth of the overseas programme at Project Trust.
This is a pivotal role, with responsibility for the overall management of Project Trust’s activities overseas. As a member of Project Trust’s senior leadership team, with responsibility for managing the experienced overseas team, each with specific country responsibility, you will also be expected to provide advice to the CEO and the Trustees on their strategic development and on the wider operational management of the organisation.
With strong foundations, and an ambitious strategy for the future, this role represents an exciting opportunity for an individual with a strong commitment to and enthusiasm for Project Trust.
- Commitment to the strategic vision and core competencies of Project Trust and/or qualifications in international development, management, business or another relevant field.
- Ability to gain the confidence of the senior leadership team and Project Trust Board; and Project Trust’s partners, staff, Volunteers and key stakeholders;
- Considerable high-level management experience and leadership in both strategic and operational roles, ideally in the charity sector, with the ability to inspire and empower staff to maintain a culture of high performance;
- Proven risk management experience, ideally in an overseas context;
- Track record in initiating and sustaining strategic and operational partnerships and in developing new business opportunities;
- Proven financial management and experience of income generation;
- Experience of designing and leading change programmes including internal and external communications;
- Experience of working with a Board of Trustees; regulatory bodies, funders and customers;
- Excellent command of written and spoken English.
Skills and abilities
- Excellent analytical, planning, reporting and organisation development skills;
- Sound business acumen, and awareness of legal and governance environments in an international context;
- Excellent communication and presentation skills both written and verbal; highly articulate and confident with groups and individuals;
- Comfortable in acting as the public representative of Project Trust;
- Proven ability to deal appropriately with confidential and sensitive issues relating to staff, Volunteers and partners;
- An open minded and dynamic approach to work and change;
- A strong commitment to achieving results, to quality standards, and to good governance;
- Willingness to travel internationally for up to 45 days per year, in trips of up to 3 weeks duration;
- A commitment to work flexibly as required.
- Understanding of and experience of youth development and the issues facing young people in a global context;
- Understanding and experience of delivering programmes and services in an international context;
- Understanding of strategic relationships and partnership working;
- Understanding of equality & diversity, safeguarding, data protection, risk management, safety & security;
- Knowledge of charity-related legislation and regulation, including its application and best practice.
Interested in this role? Download the appointment brief below. Click the apply button and follow the instructions attach a copy of your CV, together with a supporting statement to the application.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH EXISTING RIGHT TO WORK IN THE UK WILL BE ELIGIBLE FOR THIS ROLE.
For a confidential discussion, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Appointment Brief: Overseas Director-Project Trust-Appointment