Markets Intervention Manager
|Salary||FDT will pay a competitive salary based on skills and experience.|
|Contract Type||Although this is a long-term position, a two-year contract will be offered initially, renewable depending on performance.|
|Closing Date||19th March 2018|
About the Forestry Development Trust
The Forestry Development Trust was established by the Gatsby Charitable Foundation in 2013 as an independent Tanzanian institution with a long-term vision for development of the commercial forestry sector. The Trust aims to support the sector to improve the supply of higher-value wood products and energy from sustainable sources, while securing the long-term competitiveness of smallholder tree production and medium-to-large scale processing.
Are you an analytical and strategic thinker with experience in private sector development and M4P? Do you have a strong private sector mindset, knowledge of market development, and the drive to design and implement solutions to market constraints? Do you have a desire to contribute to real change that will create jobs, raise incomes and benefit tens of thousands of people for the long-term?
The Forestry Development Trust (FDT) is recruiting a Markets Intervention Manager to join the Management Team and lead the Trust’s Markets component that targets the portion of the value chain focused on the sale and processing of standing trees into high-value wood products.
The successful candidate will help define and shape strategic direction; oversee implementation delivery; provide leadership, mentoring and coaching to the team; and manage the resources of the component. They will line-manage the other members of the Markets component and build strong working relationships with the Strategy, Monitoring and Learning team, as well as the other Trust components. Externally, the candidate will forge and strengthen relationships with a wide range of public and private sector players, including through engagement with FDT’s Advisory Panel.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A minimum of 8 years of relevant work experience e.g. in market systems approaches and private sector development, private consultancy, business management, or working at senior level in the private sector.
- A higher education qualification in Economics, Forestry, Agriculture or Business.
- Strong leadership and people management experience, with a focus on mentoring and development of staff.
- Demonstrable ability to translate ideas into actions, and monitor multiple workstreams, with a strong track record of successfully managing a multi-disciplinary team and consultants.
- Comprehensive understanding and experience of designing mechanisms to address market constraints faced by private and public-sector actors of all scales (e.g. small to medium-scale tree growers, industrial public and private forestry operations, SME processors, tree grower and industry associations).
- Experience and understanding of business investment decisions and the business models of SMEs in processing sections of value chains.
- Experience in managing and implementing market-based solutions within large-scale sector development programmes; and/or experience of managing interventions to enhance sector competitiveness.
- Proven experience of influencing senior level public and private sector decision-makers and communicating to a variety of audiences and media.
- Experience and understanding of the commercial forestry sector would be an added advantage, but is not essential. For foresters, experience of forest planning, processing, investment and financing would be desirable.
FDT would particularly welcome applications from suitably qualified Tanzanian/female candidates. Fluent Kiswahili is desirable.
If you are interested and meet the requirements, please download and read the Appointment Brief below for more information then come back to this page to apply. Please include your LinkedIn profile on the application form. Please allow 1-2 days for written confirmation of your application. Candidates who reach the second stage will be asked to submit a more detailed statement. Candidates are advised to submit CVs as early as possible, as some candidates may be interviewed before the closing date.
Appointment Brief: FDT Markets Manager – Appointment Brief – Feb 2018