|Closing Date||23rd September|
Msingi East Africa Limited is an ambitious and innovative industry development organisation supporting the growth of competitive industries in East Africa. They identify high potential industries, and foster innovation, growth and competitiveness in their industries by providing support, including investment, to pioneering firms, while catalysing the right enabling environment for the industry. They are differentiated by the combination of strong private sector-orientation and skills, and the long-term approach needed to catalyse lasting economic development. Ultimately, Msingi’s goal is to play a key role in East Africa’s long-term economic transformation.
The Gatsby Africa (UK) and the UK Department for International Development (DFID) have committed seed funding for Msingi’s first 5 years. Gatsby is an independent foundation set up in 1967 by Lord David Sainsbury and has worked in East Africa since 1985. Gatsby initiated the concept of Msingi and is playing a hands-on role in its development. DFID, the UK government department responsible for overseas aid, aims to promote sustainable development and alleviate poverty.
You will lead the implementation of key intervention activities and projects within Msingi’s industry programmes – helping to deliver support which may be directly to leading commercial firms (such as through technical assistance or investment) or programmes of support across the wider industry. With the wider Msingi team, you will also contribute to the continuing development of Msingi’s strategies to transform its focus industries. The first industry programme you will focus on is Msingi’s Commercial Aquaculture Programme for at least your first 12 months in role, reporting into a Senior Industry Manager within the Aquaculture Team. You will have opportunities to contribute to work in other industries or potentially in due course to transfer to other Industry Programmes or units within Msingi, if in-line with both Msingi’s needs and your professional development objectives.
- Relevant work experience, with significant management responsibility and autonomy
- Experience working in or with the private sector – within a commercial strategy consultancy, as an investor or within an economic development initiative. You will have strong commercial acumen, analytical skills and experience of working on solving complex problems
- Experience in several the following disciplines: partnership development, investment, delivering programmes of technical assistance or advisory support, financial and quantitative analysis, market studies, and corporate strategy
- Experience and track record in project management and efficient/timely project execution – whether in a commercial or a development sector context
- A self-starter with plenty of energy
- Excellent interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence
- A strong keenness and ability to learn and be flexible in new/changing environments
- Commitment to quality and attention to detail
- Values driven, demonstrating integrity and firm ethical standards
- A passion for the dynamics affecting East African economic development
At least a bachelor’s degree.
Interested in this role? Download the appointment brief below for more information then come back to this page to apply.