Head of HR
|Location||London, with significant (15-30%) travel to East Africa|
|Salary||Competitive, based on skills and experience|
|Contract Type||Full time, permanent|
|Closing Date||23rd March 2018|
About Gatsby Africa
Gatsby has funded and implemented programmes in Africa since 1985. Their mission is to accelerate inclusive and resilient economic growth in East Africa by demonstrating how key sectors – such as cotton in Tanzania – can be transformed. Gatsby funds and implements programmes that look to catalyse and influence large-scale and lasting change in priority sectors. They build and support local organisations dedicated to sector transformation. They also aim to share what we have learned with others – such as governments and donors – who are trying to transform sectors.
Gatsby Africa is still in the early stages of development, having consolidated its direct programmes and staff into the one organisation in April 2017. At that time, the central HR function was created as a new business unit, led by the Head of HR. Therefore, in the immediate future there is a need to focus on putting in place robust and fit for purpose operational HR systems and procedures to enable the HR function to work effectively and efficiently.
Are you a senior HR professional with experience in both the UK and East Africa? Do you have strategic leadership experience and technical expertise in a broad range of HR areas? Would you like to use your skills and creativity to help our staff grow and thrive, contributing to change across East Africa with the potential to benefit millions of people?
Gatsby Africa (GA) is recruiting a new Head of HR based in London to guide, manage and develop strategy on the people and talent function across GA. The Head of HR will lead and support significant organisational change – pulling people together and motivating and inspiring them to deliver common goals. They will lead on developing and implementing effective HR practices that draw on the latest thinking and best practice and reflect the organisation’s unique needs, ensuring we attract and retain top talent and that all staff can fulfil their potential.
The Head of HR will also play a crucial role as part of GA’s leadership team, helping to shape our culture while role-modelling our values. Reporting to the Operations Director, they will work closely with GA’s teams in UK, Kenya and Tanzania, and manage a small central HR team.
The successful candidate will have excellent strategic skills – combining the ability to think long-term, and to plan and translate strategy and vision into operational objectives. They will also demonstrate a practical business partnering approach, and an ability to work closely and sensitively with others so that organisational changes are practical and relevant across different local contexts.
- Minimum of ten years of progressively responsible professional experience across a broad range of HR practice areas, including business partnering.
- HR experience in a range of business settings, including a UK HQ with international offices, multicultural organisations and the private sector.
- Experience of designing and rolling-out effective human resource systems in an international context across a number of offices. Experience and knowledge of the East African context would be an advantage.
- Proven experience of successfully selecting and managing external specialists and consultancies, including contract development and negotiation.
- Strong working knowledge of UK employment law issues and common principles, and the ability to apply these to a variety of situations using good judgment and a pragmatic and common-sense approach. Experience managing expatriate employees, including benefits and immigration issues, would be an advantage.
- Experience of working with and successfully influencing senior stakeholders.
- Post-graduate level qualification with membership of CIPD or an equivalent professional Human Resource Institute.
Please Note: Gatsby Africa is unable to sponsor work permits for this role. Candidates must have the existing right to work in the United Kingdom.
Interested in this role? Download the appointment brief below for more information.
Appointment Brief: 201802 Gatsby Africa Head of HR.
You will need to submit:
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae/resume (of no more than 2-3 pages) in MS Word.
- A statement outlining your interest and motivation, and how your skills and experience fit the role requirements and person specification.
Please click on the “apply” button below to fill out a short form and submit your documents.