Development and Communications Director
|Salary||Competitive: (annual - all inclusive package - US$ 125,000)|
|Closing Date||5th November|
The African Initiatives for Relief and Development (AIRD) is a young and dynamic, non-political, non-religious and non-profit making International NGO. AIRD started its first programme in Uganda in 2007 and is now working in nine countries in East, Central and West Africa.
A member of the Senior Management Team, the Development and Communication
Director will be responsible for the initial set up, development and implementation of
AIRD’s resource mobilization plan, which may include direct proposal writing to donors but
also will extend to helping AIRD access other forms of in-kind or cash resources. This will
be done whilst simultaneously supporting the capacity of AIRD country teams in order to
diversify and consolidate AIRD’s resource base in line with the organisation’s strategic
The ideal candidate will demonstrate an entrepreneurial and innovative spirit as well as being
agile and responsive to the needs of the organisation. S/he is both strategically oriented and
able to get on with direct tasks, works very collaboratively with the CEO and other members
of the team and thrives in a small but supportive environment. S/he is a motivated and
problem-soliving individual who communicates easily and builds strong relationships while
promoting the goals and ethics of the organisation.
- Substantial professional experience at a senior level with prior demonstrated success with both traditional and non-traditional funding sources.
- Proven skills in developing and implementing a communication strategy.
- Experience in the humanitarian and development field with business exposure and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Demonstrates a good knowledge of and network with, key emergency and development donors as well as a good understanding of their requirements and those of philanthropic institutions.
- Established extensive networking relationships.
- Experience in business development with the ability to function entrepreneurially and identify new prospects and create new funding relationships. Currently, the AIRD entire budget is raised anew each year, and they want a candidate that does not shy away from that challenge.
- Exceptional writing and public speaking skills
- Ability to work effectively and independently outside a traditional office setting without support staff and with minimal supervision
- Ability to meet deadlines, manage competing priorities and maintain quality of work
- Proficiency in the use of main computer software.
- Language: Fluency in English and French (both spoken and written) is a requirement
- Education: Master’s degree in related subject
Interested in this role? Download the appointment brief below for more information then come back to this page to apply.
Appointment Brief:AIRD Development and Communications Director