Country Director China
|Contract Type||Long Term Consultancy with the possibility to become a Permanent|
|Closing Date||4 December 2017|
About The Union
The Union is an international scientific institute strong in technical assistance, operational research and education, addressing the challenges of tuberculosis, lung disease, HIV/AIDS and tobacco control in low and middle-income countries. The Union is also a Federation of more than 15,000 members and subscribers in 150 countries committed to the same vision: health solutions for the poor. The Union Institute serves more than 70 countries each year through a multidisciplinary team of 800 staff and consultants based in Paris and 11 offices in the Africa, Asia Pacific, Europe, North America, Latin America and South-East Asia regions. Members of The Union are at work around the world advancing our common cause.The Union China Office was established in 2003 in Beijing. The main areas of work for The Union China Office are tobacco control, tuberculosis, HIV, non-communicable diseases (NCDs) and lung health and road safety.
Reporting to the head of the organisation and in close collaboration with other senior staff, the Country Director China will provide overall leadership and management of all programme activities of the China office. The Country Director will oversee the development, funding and implementation of the country strategy and provide support and facilitation as necessary to all regional and global programme activities in China.
- Extensive professional experience in public health programme management, monitoring and evaluation, and provision and management of health services
- Proven capabilities in leadership, strategic planning, programme development and management including: M&E; organisational management, particularly human resources and financial management; and partnership building and resource mobilization
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience of working with donor and technical agencies, as well as with host-country governments
- Fluent English written and spoken and ability to speak and write in Chinese
- Must be eligible to work in China.
- Proven skill in leading and managing a team of healthcare workers and technicians.
- Strong skills in negotiation.
- Ability to relate to and motivate staff effectively.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, preferably with a history of conducting on-the-record interviews with news media. Comfortable speaking to large groups.
- Independent, open-minded and collaborative – putting organisational development first.
- Willingness to communicate with staff and colleagues on a regular basis.
- Ability to travel domestically in China and internationally as necessary.
- Identifies with the organisation’s vision and mission, and core values:
- Quality, Accountability, Independence and Solidarity.
- Advanced degree in Public Health or in a related field
Interested in this role? Download the appointment brief below for more information then come back to this page to apply.
Appointment Brief: The-Union-Country-Director.pdf