Country Director- Afghanistan
|Contract Type||Three-year posting|
|Closing Date||29th June 2018|
CARE seek’s a world of hope, tolerance, and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and people live with dignity and security.
This has been their vision since 1945, when they were founded to send lifesaving CARE Packages to survivors of World War II. Today, CARE is a global leader in the movement to eradicate poverty. CARE works in 95 countries and reaches over 65 million people with an incredible range of life-saving programs. They also put women and girls at the center of their work because they know that poverty cannot be overcome until all people have equal rights and opportunities. They seek dynamic, innovative thinkers to further their mission. If you share their core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join them.
CARE is seeking a dynamic and experienced Country Director to lead CARE’s work in Afghanistan. The selected candidate will have the opportunity to work with a devoted team, to drive impact that benefits women and girls, addresses injustice and discrimination, and enhance the lives of poor and vulnerable communities. The Country Director is the senior leader and representative for CARE in Afghanistan. They lead the team to ensure the strategic visioning, development, funding, and implementation of CARE’s program portfolio. The position is based in Kabul, Afghanistan, with 30% travel to the field. This is an unaccompanied position and the operating context in Afghanistan is extremely challenging, which requires a person savvy in analysis and swift in action to ensure that staff and resources are safe, and CARE’s identity and reputation are upheld.
• Build and maintain a strong, innovative senior leadership team
• Lead the design, implementation, and evolution of the Country Office (CO) strategic plan
• Oversee CO programming to advance CARE’s vision and mission, in line with CARE’s Program Strategy and standards for program quality
• Direct the mobilization, management, and accounting of all resources in the CO
• Oversee the management and development of CO human resources to ensure a diverse, skilled, and productive workforce
• Develop and enhance relationships, partnerships and networks between the CO, other parts of CARE and external organizations to maximize CARE’s impact on poverty and social justice
• 6-8 years of experience in senior management positions in the development or humanitarian fields
• Demonstrated use of positive coping strategies in stressful environments and a good appreciation of security protocol relevant to such contexts
• Strategic and operational management
• Demonstrated experience in leading strategic and operational planning and analysis
• Demonstrated management skills in a complex international setting
• People & relationship management
• Demonstrated self-awareness, leadership, and interpersonal skills
• Experience supervising and developing a multi-disciplinary team in a cross-cultural setting
• Excellent resource mobilization skills
• Experience and skills in leading organizational change processes
• Experience with financial management as demonstrated by the ability to manage a complex budget and ensure donor compliance and reporting
• Ability to establish a learning culture within the CO and to facilitate knowledge sharing across CARE
• Proven experience developing and managing various forms of external partnerships
• Strong representation, influencing, and negotiation skills
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a related field
Interested in this role? Download the appointment brief below for more information then come back to this page to apply. All correspondence, at this stage, should be via Oxford HR. To apply for this post, click on the “Apply” button in the job advert page and complete our online application form. Please provide a CV and Cover Letter in ONE single document.
Appointment Brief: Care Country Director Afghanistan Appointment Brief