Do you have the strategic vision, experience and leadership skills to drive a programme taking on the challenge of transforming a key sector in Kenya? Could you inspire and mentor a new team to catalyse change, while bringing stakeholders together around a shared long-term vision and influencing decision-makers at the highest levels? Do you have experience of private sector development, and a desire to contribute to real change that will create jobs and raise incomes for the long-term?
Kenya’s forestry sector is central to its economy and its future. But it faces a serious wood supply gap that will only get worse due to accelerating population growth and industrialisation.
Gatsby Africa has established the Kenya Commercial Forestry Programme (KCFP) to help tackle this challenge. KCFP will have a long-term outlook and flexible approach – with the scope to think creatively and test innovative ways of catalysing change for large-scale impact.
With a team in place that has strong forestry knowledge and experience, we now need a Programme Director to set strategy, define culture, guide staff, provide leadership and build senior-level stakeholder relationships. We need candidates with a track record in defining strategy and executing effectively, with commercial acumen, and with sector development experience – prior understanding of forestry is not essential for this role.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A strong track record of successfully leading and managing projects with multiple stakeholders and multi-layered teams.
- Proven experience of influencing senior-level public and private sector decision-makers.
- An understanding of business investment decisions and deal-structuring.
- Experience in implementing market-based solutions within large-scale sector development programmes; and/or experience of managing interventions to enhance the competitiveness of agricultural sectors.
- Ten years’ relevant work experience and a minimum of five years’ work experience in Africa at managerial level.
For more complete information please see: 20170317 KCFP Programme Director
To apply for this post, please download and read the Appointment Brief, then complete our online application form. Please complete the form in sentence case – there is no need to use block capitals.
You will be asked to submit the following information:
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae (of no more than 2-3 sides of A4)
- A detailed statement (of no more than 2-sides of A4) explaining why you are interested in this post and giving evidence of how you meet the Person Specification criteria. (Please look at Help for Candidates for hints on how to write a successful statement).
The documents should be saved in Word in the following format:
Your First Name, Your Last Name, Document Name, and Date (yymm) e.g.:
Applications will not be accepted without a completed application form.