Do you have strong commercial forestry experience and a comprehensive understanding of the forestry value chain from genetic resources through to wood processing? Could you use your skills and knowledge to oversee a range of technical work across the forestry sector, and to understand and engage private and public stakeholders, including forestry agencies? Do you want to help catalyse change in Kenya’s forestry sector and have a desire to contribute to change that will create jobs and raise incomes?
Kenya’s serious wood supply gap is only set to get worse due to accelerating population growth and industrialisation. There is huge potential for commercial forestry to help close this gap, generating knock-on economic, social and environmental benefits.
Gatsby Africa has established the Kenya Commercial Forestry Programme (KCFP) to help realise this potential. KCFP will partner with private and public sector players to increase commercial returns of growers of all sizes. In particular, KCFP will look to build the capacity and commercial sustainability of key public and private institutions that can provide crucial services, including access to higher quality genetic material and improved tree grower advice.
The Technical Director will be a key role, strengthening the team at a political, technical, commercial and management level. The position will provide strategic leadership and operational management across all technical forestry functions of the programme, while fostering strong collaborative relationships to help address sector-wide challenges.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Strong commercial forestry experience gained through roles with a combination of technical and operational responsibilities in organisations across the forestry value chain.
- 10 years of management responsibility, preferably including experience of managing multiple forestry functions.
- Proven leadership of collaborative, multi-partner initiatives, and demonstrated experience of influencing senior public and private sector decision-makers.
- A first degree in Forestry (Master’s degree desirable).
For complete information, please see: 20170314 KCFP Technical Director
To apply for this post, please download and read the Appointment Brief, then complete our online application form. Please complete the form in sentence case – there is no need to use block capitals.
You will be asked to submit the following information:
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae (of no more than 2-3 sides of A4)
- A detailed statement (of no more than 2-sides of A4) explaining why you are interested in this post and giving evidence of how you meet the Person Specification criteria. (Please look at Help for Candidates for hints on how to write a successful statement).
The documents should be saved in Word in the following format:
Your First Name, Your Last Name, Document Name, and Date (yymm) e.g.:
Applications will not be accepted without a completed application form.