Are you passionate about promoting sustainable economic development in Africa? Do you have a strategic vision and proven leadership skills, along with an understanding of commercial forestry, and senior operational management experience in East Africa?
The Gatsby Charitable Foundation and the Forestry Development Trust (FDT) are seeking an Executive Director to lead FDT, which was established in 2013 to work with the public and private sectors to develop a sustainable and competitive forestry sector in Tanzania.
Please download and read the candidate pack before you apply: FDT-Executive-Director-Job-Description
With secured funding from Gatsby and DFID, a team of ~30 staff in place, and a platform of existing work at design and pilot stage, FDT is entering a new and exciting phase. This provides an opportunity for a suitably experienced Executive Director to refine and execute the organisation’s strategy, building on strong relationships already established within the sector.
The ideal candidate will have excellent strategic leadership skills and experience of managing interventions to enhance competitiveness in the forestry sector or within other large-scale sector development programmes. With at least 12-15 years’ experience, including some in the private sector, s/he will have a strong track record of successfully running organisations or programmes with multiple stakeholders and large, multi-layered teams, handling annual budgets of at least $2m. In-depth experience and technical understanding of commercial forestry would be a significant advantage, along with working Kiswahili.
The post is based in Iringa – a safe and welcoming city with an excellent climate and an international school, and an appealing place for those who like nature and the outdoor life.
- Experience in implementing market-based solutions within large-scale sector development programmes; and/or excellent strategic leadership skills and experience of managing interventions to enhance competitiveness in the forestry sector
- Comprehensive understanding of the constraints faced by farmers in accessing inputs and information (ideally on planting trees for commercial purposes), and experience of designing mechanisms for reaching farmers with relevant services
- Experience and understanding of business investment decisions and in deal-structuring of investments
- Strong leadership and people management experience demonstrating the ability to translate ideas into actions; monitor multiple work streams; co-ordinate staff, contracting partners and stakeholders – all while deploying a consultative and collegiate decision making style, and coaching skills
- Proven experience of influencing senior level public and private sector decision makers and communicating to a variety of audiences and media
- Strong track record of successfully leading and managing projects with multiple stakeholders and large, multi-layered teams, handling annual budgets of at least $2m
- In-depth experience and technical understanding of commercial forestry (e.g. tree improvement, silviculture, value addition etc) would be a significant advantage
- A minimum of ten years’ relevant work experience, e.g. in private sector consultancy, development consultancy or development project management at a senior level
- A minimum of five years’ work experience in Africa at managerial level, with demonstrable experience and understanding of smallholders
- Higher education qualification in Economics, Business, Agriculture or Forestry
Please download the full job description for further information on the skills required.
FDT will pay a competitive salary based on skills and experience. For international candidates FDT offers a taxable benefits and relocation package.
An initial 2 year contract will be offered, renewable depending on performance and funding.
To apply for this post, please download the Job Description below, and complete our online application form and submit the following information::
An up-to-date curriculum vitae (of no more than 2-3 sides of A4)
A detailed statement (of no more than 2-sides of A4) explaining why you are interested in this post and how your skills and experience make you suitable. (Please look at “Advice for Candidates” on the Oxford HR website for hints on how to write a successful statement).
The documents should be saved in Word in the following format: Your First Name, Your Last Name, Document Name, and Date (yymm) e.g.: